Thursday, November 4, 2010

Informative Series Sketches

First Round of Sketches
Second Round of Sketches
I began this project by researching more about peanut butter & jelly sandwiches and discovered a website called the "PBJ Campaign". Check out the web site at here. I came to find out that the organization   actually advocate's for the consumption of this lunch favorite. They claim that  replacing plant-based meals for animal-based meals can save water, conserve land and slow global warming. Without hesitation, I knew I wanted to run with this idea and came up with my own campaign  around the statement "make a sandwich, make a change", which I thought could best target parents with children. I found many great statistics and became particularly interested in statistics using ratio comparisons. For example, one statistic stated that "the land required to produce beef in one hamburger could produce enough peanuts for 19 pb&js". My first round of sketches tried to play with the idea of numbers and emphasizing that more is better. I used a repeat pattern of slices of peanut butter or jelly for the magazine and flyer and stacked sandwiches for the billboard as a representation of the greater number in the different advertising media. I intended a small paragraph to be placed beneath the number as supporting text. My second round of sketches, uses different comparison symbols and includes a hamburger and a chicken to further reinforce this comparison. The billboard, however, shows one sandwich and removes the number element. I also began experimenting with an illustrative style using line drawings and off-setting the fill color. My second round of sketches left me feeling more confident that I could successfully translate my vision into a cohesive, playful campaign for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment